Summer is always about a break from the school year. Every hard working student like myself needs a break! Summer has also always been about making some extra money while you don't have the responsibilities of school work on your shoulders. This summer is a little different. I do not have the luxury of sitting back and waiting for school to start. No more summer time working at the farm market or babysitting everyday...at least I thought!
The original plans for the summer consisted of me traveling to live and work in San Francisco for a family that I have nannied for in the past here in Indy. They just had another baby and asked if I would live with them to help keep their older son entertained. I was very excited to think about this summer adventure, but as the school year came to a close I began to feel like a summer in California would not be the most practical thing to do while I was job hunting for my first "Real Job". So by March I knew I would need to keep looking...
Senior year at Butler flew by! I enjoyed my internship and worked very hard to finish school out right. I had high hopes for something coming out of my internship in the job category. At lunch with my boss this became even more of a reality. I heard "We Loved Having You" and "You Did Everything Right", but then I heard words that most recent college graduates have become ever too familiar with "Hiring Freeze". Yuckkkk! Not only would my company not be hiring, but my boss was quick to say he was also unable to fire employees who were not pulling their weight, but could not be replaced because of the hiring freeze. Next option?
I'd passed on California, nothing would come of my internship, I'd bequeathed all my amazing babysitting jobs to younger girls and as for then I thought I'd be moving home to live with my parents and...Nooooo Way!
I put myself out on a limb. I found a new nannying position and I'm currently applying for jobs that truly interest me and that I'd be happy doing! I worked very hard in school and am struggling like most other newly graduated students to prove that I am the best thing that could happen to a company! Wish me luck :-)
Until more, I'm helping some of my other friends look for summer work until more permanent positions are found! If anyone knows a baby that needs a great sitter or wow, we have college degrees, we can do lots of things...Let me know! <3
No comments:
Post a Comment